HAMPDEN - Malcolm D. Hardy, 93, died September 29, 2015, at the Maine Veterans' Home, Bangor. He was born April 22, 1922, in Bangor, the son of Harold and Alice (Dougherty) Hardy.
Malcolm was educated in the Bangor Schools and graduated from Bangor High School, Class of 1940. He entered the University of Maine until being called from the enlisted Reserves in May 1943. Commissioned at Ft. Benning on May 4, 1944, he served as a forward observer for Cannon Company, 335th Infantry, 84th Infantry Division in Germany and Belgium.
Returning from the war, he completed his degree in Civil Engineering. In 1956 he formed his own construction company, M.D. Hardy Inc., and was one of the first design-construct general construction companies in Maine. Always interested in Industrial Development, he built the first building in the Perry Road Development then adding 9 others and constructed 9 buildings in the Target Circle development. As a general contractor, he built schools, office buildings and commercial projects from Portland to Calais and North from Guilford to St. Francis, until retiring in 1986.
Malcolm was a member of the United First Methodist Church of Bangor, the Hampden Kiwanis Club, serving as President in 1962, Chairman of the Armco Dealer Council for 4 years, member and President of the Associated General Contractors of Maine, and a member of The Retired Officers Association.
Malcolm is survived by his three sons, David, Timothy and Jonathan Hardy; five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Services will be private for the family. A service of the Hampden-Gilpatrick Chapel of Brookings-Smith, 45 Western Ave., Hampden.