Marshall W. Cutter

Nov 9, 1922 - Apr 15, 2017

Marshall's Story

Text size

Tucson, AZ, and Lamoine - Marshall W. Cutter was born to Luther and Grace Cutter in Bangor, Maine on November 9, 1922. He died at his winter home in Tucson, Arizona, on April 15, 2017. He was 94.
Marshall is survived by his wife of 68 years, Charlotte Mae Cutter, three children: Vaughn Johnson, Jeffrey Cutter (Laurie), and Jacqueline Johnson (Michael). He is survived by ten loving grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren. Mark is also survived by two nephews and a niece, Ronald Cutter, Bruce Cutter, and Kimberly Luciano. He was the youngest of six children: Ronald, Myrtle, Ivel, Lloyd, and Carrol.
Marshall, known as Mark by friends and family, graduated Bangor High School in 1940 and attended the University of Maine at Orono for one year. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942 and was assigned to a base in England. There, as a 1st Lieutenant, Mark served on a navigator on a B-17 crew. He flew missions over Germany in 1944 and 1945. When the war in Europe ended, Mark returned to the U.S. with the expectation that he would be re-assigned to the South Pacific. WWII ended before he was re-assigned, and Mark was discharged from the Army in 1945.
After discharge from the service, he followed an army friend to the University of Wisconsin at Madison. Mark graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. That's also where Mark and Charlotte met on a blind date. In 1948 they eloped and were married in Rapid City, South Dakota. They were on their way to Mark's first job in San Francisco.
Mark would later join the Air Force Reserves. He served in Southern California from 1950 to 1975. The job involved flying equipment to battle fronts in Korea and Vietnam. Closer to home he worked on many search and rescue missions off shore in Southern California. Mark retired from the Air Force with the rank of Lt. Colonel.
Mark worked for the Arabian-American Oil Company as an electrical engineer. When the company moved its offices to New York, Mark took a position with Fluor Corporation, which meant a move to Southern California in 1950. While in Southern California, Mark earned a degree in Nuclear Engineering at UCLA. Mark's work at Fluor included being a project manager on an electrical generation plant in Saudi Arabia. He worked for Fluor until his retirement in 1986.
In retirement, Mark and Charlotte returned to Maine after building a home in Lamoine. There, they joined St. Andrew Lutheran Church in Ellsworth. With mission builders, they helped to build the church. In the years that followed they would travel, visit family members scattered across the country, and spend winters in Tucson.
Mark enjoyed travel, playing golf, reading and cooking Maine lobster - even in Arizona. He will be missed by family and friends who remember how he liked to visit and tell stories. He was an expert in his professional field and an inspiration to his children and grandchildren.
A service of remembrance will be held Sunday, August 6, at 1 p.m. at St. Andrew's Lutheran Church in Ellsworth, Maine.
Published on  August 3, 2017
Send flowers
in memory of Marshall
See more

Obituary published in

Arrangements by


Share this story with a friend: