MILLINOCKET - Mildred (Wheaton) Rush, 94, beloved wife of Richard "Dick" Rush passed away Jan. 28, 2013, at Cummings Health Care, Howland. She was born Sept. 20, 1918, to Beulah (Spenser) and Harry Wheaton. She was the fourth eldest of 10 children.
Mildred graduated from Stearns High School, class of 1936, and worked numerous jobs including the Jordan Pond House, her favorite, in order to attend Colby College, which she attended until the outbreak of World War II, vowing that one day she would complete her education. She and Richard married Aug. 6, 1942, shortly after Richard and best friend Chink LeGassey joined the Army/Air Force. Soon after they began their family, which eventually totaled five children. Mildred was a highly accomplished woman active in the community and a devout member of St. Andrews Episcopal Church. She was always a favorite go-to for several dozen of her famous rolls for church fundraisers. She was devoted to her family as sister, mother, aunt, grandmother and a steadfast friend to many. Years later in her early 60s, Mildred determined that it was time to finish her education, but there was a small problem - she didn't drive - so first she had to learn to drive, get her license and then drive to the University of Maine, Orono, for classes, all of which she accomplished. She did it her way.
Mildred was predeceased by her husband, Dick; son, Ricky; and her nine siblings, Tommy, Donald, Geneva, Muriel, Madeline, Jacqualine, Richard, Robbie and Paul. She is survived by a daughter, Susan Rush Walsh; three sons, David, Douglas and Jeffrey Rush; two grandchildren, Rebecca Taee of Petersfield, England, and Brandan Rush; two great-grandchildren, Nicholas and Amelia Taee, also of England; as well as many numerous much loved nieces and nephews; and dear friends, Pam and Gail.
A memorial service will be held in the spring. Those who wish may donate in her memory to St. Andrews Episcopal Church, P.O. Box 222, Millinocket, ME 04462. Arrangements are under the care of Direct Cremation of Maine, 182 Waldo Ave., Belfast.